Thursday, March 29, 2007

Banks Should Understand Simple Subtraction

For most people negative numbers start when counting backwards from zero. Apparently however my bank has their own counting scheme. Counting backwards from somewhere around $22 is when the numbers go negative for them. So far I've been unable to find any documentation stating that $22 is equal to $0 from my bank. And since I have a "no minimum balance required" account, I know that I'm not being penalized because I'm trying to stretch my money. So why is it that I received overdraft charges for a $5 and two different $2.50 transactions? Those numbers aren't precise, but I rounded up to make my point.

That would put my balance around $12. There were no other charges pending, and I haven't filled up with gas from this account in over 2 weeks, so it wasn't due to any of their pre-auth charges. Basically my bank just decided that $22 would be a good place to rob me of $75 since they charge $25 per overdraft. This isn't the first thing that's indicated their poor system to me, but if I don't get my money back it will be the last.

No comments: